Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Break....nah

On Wednesday as we were wrapping up for the day, I was glad for the 4 day break.  Not because I am not enjoying myself at Summer Institute; but rather, I needed time to process everything that's been going on.  Monday and Tuesday nights, I was up way past my "bedtime", thinking about all the things that had happened during the institute.  I was constantly making connections, even when I wasn't trying to. (Connections)

Obviously, I am not that type of person that can just take a break! 

As I was cruising Facebook this morning, I came across this post from a fellow Montessori friend... Papa Don't Text.  It stuck a cord with me, as I've been having a hard time figuring out how to get some of the digital ideas presented this week into my classroom.  There have been some neat digital tools that I've enjoyed playing around with.  But, I keep going back to the thought that I don't want to bring technology into my 3-6 year old classroom.  I want to expose them to real materials, real conversations.  This article was centered around parents talking to their children while out of on a walk instead of talking on the phone.  It didn't get into classroom practices.  This quote, however, jumped out at me: "How ironic is it, that, in this era when child-rearing is the focus of unprecedented imagination, invention, sophistication, and expense, something as simple and pleasurable as conversing with our children can be overlooked."

While reading the article above, it made me think back to the activity we did with Lacy.  We read various quotes and then jotted down a few of our thoughts about the quotes.  The one that stuck with me was about transmedia play.  I focused on the fact that kids that are exposed to so much electronic play lose certain key developmental skills. The may not have the opportunity to build with legos, scribble with markers, therefor, they lack fine motor skills or hand eye coordination.  I hadn't even made the connection earlier in the week about delaying language exposure and skills with too much electronic play. 

I guess I just see so many kids who are put in front of ipads, movie players, computers that I'm a little jaded to exposing them in the classroom.  I see parents take the easy road and rely on this technology to entertain and educate their children.   Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against technology, I just appreciate the "old fashion" play and learning more. 

Now, I'm going to go and enjoy the last day and a half of my break...or maybe I'll find some other connection...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny!
    I see where you are coming from in your post. However, I think there is often times that technology is seen as a "black sheep" in education because of it's prominent role in life at home. Technology can be a great learning tool especially when other resources are lacking because of funds. I think using technology does need to have rules (maybe similar to the writing rules) and guidelines in the classroom, but technology is a huge advantage for teachers. Like our writing rules, I am not sure what the technology rules would be, or how they would look, because I think depending on how technology is being used, would alter the rules. I would like to search and determine if there are "rules" out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenny, hope you were able to get some good processing done over the four days that we had off. I know that I didn't take much of a break either, but it was nice to have some time to just let things soak in and play around with my digital project.

    About technology, I guess that I haven't thought much about it's (over) use with young children. I know with my own kids, I try to limit screen time...though I don't always do a great job of it. But with respect to the the early years classroom, you've got me thinking about what that type of integration should look like. My initial feeling is it should be there in some form. Technology can open up new creative possibilities, and I also think about how if a child doesn't use technology at home or at school, how far behind they will fall from their peers who do use it at home. But how much is too much, especially with young children? Is it best to unplug until a certain age. What an awesome area to inquire into. Looking forward to learning more about this through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny!
    You bring up such a great point and I often wonder about this too. I love that you are still trying to keep the traditional do, speak, and play in the classroom because it is beyond important. I also wonder what will happen to the thinkers of this young generation. If the "older" (and I say that including myself) grew up outside with social interaction or inside with imaginative play created such great thinkers, then how will a generation raised without (or a limited version) of these things end up? It's not that I'm anti-technology either, but you have to wonder how kids will learn independence, decision-making skills, and inquiry if they are given everything on an "interactive" screen. Sorry if this makes me sound old and jaded or if I am making too many sweeping assumptions, but it's something that I am wondering too.

    ReplyDelete