Wednesday, July 10, 2013

When it's stuck ... just look around...

Yesterday, when we read Sir Francis Bacon’s piece with Sally, I tried to get one of my thoughts out and did such a poor job.  I just wanted to stop talking and throw out a blaahhh...  My thoughts made sense in my brain but they just weren't getting to my mouth.  


If he be not apt to beat over matters, and to call one thing to prove and illustrate another, let him study the lawyers’ cases; so every defect of the mind may have a special receipt.”  


This morning, I was mulling it over again I was I driving into “college” today.  I was still visualizing in my brain what I wanted to say; but just couldn't get the words together.   

 As I was waiting at a red light, I looked up at a billboard for Turkey Hill Iced Tea and it said “Everyone is #1 at something.”  I said out loud (although no one was in the car with me) “THAT’S what it is saying!”


Does that make any more sense than what I was saying?  Do they connect for anyone else? To be honest, it makes sense to me...so I’m happy!

5 comments:

  1. I still don't get it, but I'm so glad you do--sometimes that's all we can hope for. Great job today! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    Amazing job on your demo today. I really admire all of the work that you do with your students and I envy that you get to see language learning and writing at its inception--how cool is that?!?

    As far as your post, I love that you were still trying to rethink what you were saying yesterday during your drive in today. I feel like that I do that all the time too (sometimes I wish I were Zack Morris or that girl Edie from Out of This World so I could freeze time to readjust!) I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. As far as the quote, it is a hard one especially since we probably have a very different concept of lawyer/beat over/defect than Bacon did...I sometimes wonder how close we can ever come to knowing exactly what older texts mean since we are so far out of real context. But maybe the important thing is that it makes you think about something or maybe I'm starting to lose my train of thought and ramble...I need a do-over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an awesome job today! I was so into everything you talked about in your demo and I truly wanted to teach the younger children after you were done. It's so cool to be at the beginning of the spectrum and see the growth that takes place at that age group. As for the comment you made, I got you the first time. However, we are always harder on ourselves and it sometimes stays with us well after the class has ended. I am so happy you had your AHA moment and got that clarity! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes. It makes perfect sense. I call the worry about making things make sense performance anxiety. And I certainly have had my share of that. The seminar pieces are supposed to make you think--during seminar and after seminar. See. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did fabulous yesterday on your demo! I really admire your work with your little kiddos! I love your blog post today. It's definitely hitting home with me. I really think that anyone can be great at anything...they just need time to figure out what that "thing" is. Especially after a little practice...it's definitely achievable. Great billboard too :)

    ReplyDelete