Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Connections

Yesterday, I read Steve's blog about making connections to things we've done before, things we'll do in the future, just things in general.  It resonated with me that I am constantly doing that.  Not just in education, learning, school but in my everyday life too.  My brain is just always in motion...thinking, connecting thoughts, ideas, actions, etc. (So much so that sometimes I can't sleep because my brain isn't ready to "turn off")

Case in point....this morning for our Writing Into the Day, we watched a video of Chimamanda Adichie.  Her talk was about looking beyond the "one story" of individuals, cultures, groups as a whole, writers, etc.  Afterwards, we were to write into the day about our thoughts.  I found myself thinking about my classroom and how we are always trying to add diversity into the classroom.  We use books using people from different cultures, disabilities, etc.  We provide pictures throughout the room, works about other cultures, and stories of other cultures to promote this diversity.  Yes, Chimamanda, we are doing what we can to help distill that "one story" per culture, that stereotyping.

But then my thoughts kept moving and  kept connecting...We, as teachers, can do this in our classroom to get rid of those negative cultural biases; but what about when the children hear otherwise from outside of the school.  How do we offset some of the stereotypes that parents feed to their children?  Now, I keep thinking, keep connecting....Hey, this is exactly what my group talked about yesterday during Lacy's presentation.  We were exploring other people's inquiry and ours to explore was "I'm interested in the literacy underlives of young children an their teachers: the literacies they bring to the classroom that are expressing informal in formal spaces."

Connections, connections, connections....

4 comments:

  1. Jenny,
    I completely agree...there are connections being made everywhere through this project. It's actually a little weird-ed-out-ness with the amount of connections that are being made. It's pretty eye opening!
    I like your point about the video this morning and how we, as teachers, are working to remove the discrimination by incorporating more books. Shouldn't we as teachers also encourage students to try-out new books on their own? New books that would introduce them to new people and characters than they are used to? (That's what I blogged about!) But I think that is just another connection ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right. I was trying to craft out this thoughtful reply to your ideas in this well-written, thoughtful post....but, I just need to go with my gut response: It was so cool to read a post that was inspired by/riffed off of an idea that I wrote! It's an experience that I've witnessed, but never experienced, and it caused a lot to click for me. Like realizing the value of a community of writers. How the writing that takes place within communities grows out of the words and ideas that each are sharing. And also how the shared space to write and think together is what leads to some of the connections that you were making towards the end of this piece here. I'm going to be sure that I mention/link to the posts of people who inspire my next piece (Sarah, I think that'll be you...see my comments on your post). Seeing the effects of my words on the ideas of others is powerful, and an experience that definitely will affect my practice when I return to school in the fall. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny!

    I just read over your blog and it made me think of something I try to remind myself. It came out of your comment "How do we offset some of the stereotypes that parents fee to their children?". Sometimes, especially at such a young age-not that I teach young children, but I think you need to not bear the burden of completely offsetting, but maybe just planting a seed. By continuing to expose your students to so many stories of so many different people will plant a seed for awareness and, I believe, tolerance. Ignorance is the worst of all and you are effectively fighting that! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny--I stumbled across this Kurt Vonnegut quote yesterday and it reminded me of your blog title: "When I write,I feel like an armless, legless man with a crayon in his mouth."

    Just trying to make some more connections for you :)

    ReplyDelete