Tuesday, July 16, 2013

From 1 to Y...

The discussions following both Meredith and Sarah’s demos today made me reflect on how in the world do we sometimes go from point A to point 25.  I do it often inside my head, then I’ll make a comment about the point I’m on, while I get blank looks, I realize everyone else is still on tangent G.  

This was exactly what was happening to me on my walk in from the parking lot this morning, going from point 1 to point Y.  That’s why when I saw Kim in the lobby, I couldn't figure out why she was here.  

I’ll try to OUTLINE my thoughts on that 13 minute walk in:

1. My blog post was so simple yesterday.  I pulled from a Writing into the Day from one day last week.

2. What a cop out to not thinking! Blog posts should be thought provoking!

3.  Hmmm...if I take the short road, then I’m not really getting everything out of this experience.

D. This experience?  How can I even try to articulate this experience to the people I work with?

D-a. We all experience the children at our school in different ways.

5. The kids are our audience, we speak to them in various ways, depending on what we need to deliver to them.

6. Oh, Sarah’s demo from the day before.  She used a lot of “P” words.

sub 6.  small thought on the “pee pants” ha!

VII. What were those P’s ...purpose, perspective, perception.... no not perception.

8. Back to the teachers at school.  I’m interested to see how their perception has changed in being a teacher now that they are both new moms.

Nine.  Back, again to the thought that I’d like to share this experience with my fellow teachers.  Maybe I can link them up to my blog, to see into our days a little bit

X. Ugh, I better come up with some more thought provoking blogs then, can't slack off on the simple posts.

...dang was I on 10 or X...do I go to 11 or Y?  ...why is Kim looking at me in the lobby?


5 comments:

  1. What I love about this post is that it shows how our thinking takes us to different places even as we are thinking about our day, our student, our lives. This is real--and doesn't follow the neat and clean hamburger outline--which no real thinking follows. If we would allow ourselves to actually show students how our thinking follows different contours--goes in different directions, they would see that their thinking is just like ours--nice and interesting and messy and way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I loved how you showed how our minds always jump from one random thing to another. They really don't just go from point 1 to point 2 with reason #1 and reason #2! Thinking is messy and writing is messy at the start too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this thought pattern, so oddly easy to follow. I think I agree with Lil; this is how our minds do actually work...did I just hear my cat? Is she stuck outside again? I really want to work on my prequel...Oh! The blog, of course the blog response, where was I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you hi-jack my brain?!? You must know magic, woman! Seriously though, this is our mind on SI-crazy! We are always thinking and thinking some more when attending this "class." Our thoughts go in a million different directions, making our brains immensely exhausted and all thought out by the end of the day. That's why I think we always have these fun conversations and laugh so much on the way to the parking lot. We need time to reflect and breathe after all of this intense mental stimulation as our minds travel hundreds of places during one demo, not even thinking about the entire day! Thanks Jenny! You said it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post Jenny! You put out there how we have all been thinking this week...in some sort of mental hyper-drive. I think that it shows how you are recognizing these connections among everything in your life...writing, teaching, students, school, thinking, talking, colleagues, etc...it's all about the interconnectivity :)

    ReplyDelete