Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rolling in the Deep

I have so many different posts rolling around in my head.  Do you start with the newest idea then work backwards or start with the oldest idea and work forward?

I'm going to start with one of the newer ideas (and maybe toss a few more into this one too).

Friday's demos by Tiffany and Wendy were great.  As I said previously, I have many new activities to implement in my class; but I keep being inspired by all of these great demos for even more!

I love the idea of using the story starters in a basket for the writing work from Tiffany's demo.  I may try to get some ideas out of the kids...wouldn't it be interesting to hear what a 4 year old would come up with for a story starter.  (By the way, I am planning on trying to update the blog throughout the school year to share how all of these ideas translate into the classroom)

Wendy's music demo was great also. (Blog Post title inspired by Wendy)  (One of the things that I really love about the whole SI experience is seeing the excitement from the other teachers, whether they are sharing their demo with us or being inspired by a demo.  When one of us gets a break off idea from a demo and I can see the excitement in his/her face, it makes me excited for him/her.  The whole experience is rejuvenating. This was one of those other blog post ideas that I threw into this one.)

Back to Wendy's demo...music really speaks to small kids.  I'd like to try this idea in the classroom with a small music area with head phones.  The children can listen to various types of music independently, while writing a story or drawing a picture.  I could center the types of music around various "themes"...happy songs, scary songs, quiet songs, etc and see how the pictures and stories differ.

I have a page in the back of my day book where I'm writing the activities that I want to implement in the classroom, I've already about filled up 2 pages!  And still a week to go....


3 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm for the whole experience. The demos have been wonderful this year and have given us much to think about as we move toward fall and another school year. I like the conversations the demos force us into as much as the demos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you weren't kidding! We are totes on the same page from last week. And I agree, I love all the different ideas and lesson strategies I get to take to my new classroom.

    BTW- I used a version of your demo with Bernadette, my 4 year old, on Saturday during the writing marathon. In fact, I might just go sit next to you and read it to you right now. Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love seeing how you adapt things for the younger kids. It's so neat to hear how they are developing and exploring literature in their own, yet SO meaningful, way.

    Ps-your title of this post makes me think of Adele!

    ReplyDelete